Sylhet division occupies the north east part of Bangladesh. The district is famous for shrines, natural hilly, and forest area with ox bow lakes. It is called the tea granary of Bangladesh. The Sylhet valley is formed by a beautiful, winding pair of rivers named the Surma and the Kushiara both of which are fed by innumerable hill streams from the north and south. In 1303, the great Saint Hazrat Shah Jalal (R) came to Sylhet from Delhi with a band of 360 disciples to preach Islam and defeated the then Raja Gour Gobinda.
Main Tourist attractions in Sylhet Division:
- The Shrine of Hazrat Shah Jalal (R): Shrine of Saint Hazrat Shah Jalal (R) is the most historical interest in Sylhet city. Today, more than six hundred years after his death, the shrine is visited by innumerable devotees of every caste and creed, who make the journey from faraway places.
- Temple of Sri Chaitannya Dev: This temple is about 500 years old famous and about 45 km southeast from Sylhet town. The place is revered from being the ancestral home of the famous Vaishnava saint.
- Shahi Edgah: Three kilometers to the northeast of the circuit house, the Shahi Eidgah was built on a hill by the Mughal Emperor Aurangazeb in the 17th century.
- Gour Gobinda Fort: The Murarichand Government College is situated in a beautiful surrounding on a hilltop. To the northwest of the college lie the remains of King Gour Govinda's Fort.
- Jaflong: The most attractive tourist spots in Sylhet division. Zaflang/Jaflong is also a scenic spot nearby amidst tea gardens and rate beauty of rolling stones from hills. It's about 60 km far from Sylhet town. It is situated besides the river Mari in the lap of Hill Khashia.
- Tamabil Border: Tamabil is the border area with India and is five km before Jaflong. If you want to visit Shilong of India then you will have to cross this border by completing your customs formalities.
- Sripur: Sripur is another famous tourist spot where you can see the waterfall with great tide falling from the hills.
- Jointapur's Rajbari: It is a scenic spot amidst tea gardens. Jaintiapur is only five km. from Jaflong, and about 35 km. northwest of Sylhet town, linked by rail, road and river is Chhatak, the seat of Assam Bengal Cement Factory, Chhatak is famous for orange garden.
- Srimongol: Srimongal is famous for the largest tea gardens of world covered by lush green carpet. It is the place of tea gardens, hills and forest areas on the hills. Within your eyesight you will find green throughout.
- Madhabkunda Waterfall: It is one of the most attractive tourist spots in Sylhet division. Lots of tourists and picnic parties come to Madhabkunda water fall every day.
- Lawacherra Rain Forest: This is one of the important & well-reserved forests in Bangladesh. It is a good habitant of Deer, leopard, wild chicken, squirrel, and python. Here visitor may see gibbons swimming through the trees and birds like bee-eater owls parrot.
Other Attractions of Sylhet:
- Pineapple cultivation: Sweetest and best quality pineapples grown here in Sylhet division. Pineapple is really a greatest offer of summer but now it is cultivated round the year.
Handicrafts of Sylhet: Sylhet is well known for its wide variety of exquisite handicrafts. Cane products of Sylhet such as chair, table, tea trays, flower vases, bags are really beautiful.
Shital Pati: The exquisitely designed fine Shital Pati (It is the traditional art of making a handcrafted mat by weaving together strips of a green cane known as 'Murta') are colorful souvenirs. Shital Pati has been included in the Unesco's Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH) of Humanity.
Tribes: An interesting feature of Sylhet region is the aboriginal tribes such as the Tipperas, the Monipuris, Khasias and Garos who still live in their primitive ways in the hills, practicing their age-old rites, rituals, customs and traditions.
- Tourist Spot / Attractions in Dhaka Division
- Tourist Spot / Attractions in Chattogram / Chittagong Division
- Tourist Spot / Attractions in Rajshahi Division
- Tourist Spot / Attractions in Khulna Division
- Tourist Spot / Attractions in Rangpur Division
- Tourist Spot / Attractions in Barisal Division
- Tourist Spot / Attractions in Cumilla / Comilla District
- Tourist Spot / Attractions in Mymensingh Division