The transport sector of Bangladesh consists of a variety of modes. The road, rail and waterway are widely used in carrying both passengers and cargo inside the country. The air is another popular way to connect divisional cities. Bangladesh's transport and logistics sectors offer immense opportunities for investors, as the country is found most wanting in the area. Improvements in ports, road, rail, and air services are all essential for a country that is in the midst of historic growth.
Transportation sector business is a profitable business. Ever since independence this sector has been dominated by private owners. After the Independence Sheikh Mujibur Rahman ordered 20 trucks & 20 buses from India to restore the national transport system which was broken during the liberation war. This procurement was done under the Bangladesh Road Transport Corporation (BRTC). On the other hand private owners kept on investing to enhance the rate of acceleration in this specific Transport Sector of Bangladesh. But more emphasis was given in transportation of passengers rather than goods. Many of the bridges were reconstructed to ramify mobilization of vehicles across the country. Today more than 1500 private companies have begun operation & many more have started registering to enter the market.
For a developing country the main development issue is on building the infrastructure to enhance the economic growth as well as achieve the economic freedom. Bangladesh ever since the independence has focused on constructing roads & highways. In last three decades transportation sector & construction of roads has been the top priority of government. Private sector, are ready to invest, in Bangladesh's transport infrastructure and trade logistics, towards Bangladesh's growth. Invest in the country. The government will provide the policy support and security.
Development in Transport Sector of Bangladesh:
- Replacement and up gradation of old signaling and interlocking system
- Rehabilitation of old Railway Line
- Construction of Railway line in various parts inside the country
- Procurement of trains for introduction commuter Trains
- Studies for strengthen/reconstruction of existing Bridges
- Construction of missing links in the rail corridor between Bangladesh India borders
- Up gradation of all interdivisional highways into four to six lanes
- Construction work of new Expressways
- Modification and up gradation of all the Airports inside the country
- Under the Rural Transport Improvement Project, 3,060 kilometers out of 5,248 kilometers of tertiary roads have been newly built or rehabilitated by the Government since 2012 to promote rural connectivity